Friday, December 20, 2013

In a rush (to best buy???)

Okay, so ... last night - Gather round, kiddos, it's storytime! - I'm sitting in the press box of a racetrack at the end of a race when this lady walks in from the adjacent track office suite and asks if I work for the track. I tell her sorry, but no, I'm just here as a media member. Undeterred, she says "Okay, great!" and thwacks a giant cash bag down next to me. "I need to go now," she explains, "please make sure they get this." She turns to leave but quickly turns right around, presumably having just realized that giving a random stranger the bag with all the ticket sales money was not tremendously wise.



 Okay, or not. Before I can explain to her that I'm not particularly comfortable assuming the liability of such a responsibility, she bursts out of the press box yelling loudly "I need to get to Best Buy before 9 PM!" As she descends the stairs to go outside, I can still hear her yelling "I NEED TO GET TO BEST BUY!"

Track promoter walked in ten minutes later, I give the bag to him. Story over. OH WAIT, it's about to get weirder.

Another lady walks into the press box while I'm packing up and she's carrying half a birthday cake. So she asks me how my night was and I tell her it was really good and in turn ask if whoever it was had a nice birthday. She says something along the lines of 'Yeah, Ginny had a really great time." And I reply with something like 'Ginny? Oh that's interesting. My sister's birthday is today too. And her name is Jenny.'

Well this lady gets kind of excited by this and puts the cake down next to my work station and says "Here, give the rest of this cake to her! I don't want it." I was going to politely point out that I won't see my sister before her Thanksgiving Break and also that giving her a half-eaten cake with the message 'Happy Birthday Ginny' written on it might convey the message that her brother is a glutton who doesn't actually know how to spell her name, but - you guessed it - this lady leaves the press box in the same rush as the previous woman. Perhaps she has a deep aversion to cake. Or maybe she too needed to get to Best Buy right away. Who knows?

Anyway, long story short, I now possess half of a complete stranger's birthday cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment